Saturday, November 29, 2008

Meet The Pie Girls, Posted Saturday 29 November

To enlarge the image above, click on it and you'll be able to read what the girl's are saying.

I've received a lot of enquiries about The Pie Girls...I had thought that my backroom girls would carry on sorting the emails and texts, doing the books, working on sales and serving the pies and tea (sorry if that sounds a bit un-p.c., but I do my bit in the kitchen!)...however, no - the dizzy world of football reporting, showbiz and internet radio is turning my lovely ladies into virtual celebrities. Next week they're in a recording studio in London recording The Pieman theme song - I wonder if I ought to send our song off to that Simon Cowell fella.

Anyway, the time has come for me to introduce my Pie Girls...

Bella Watson is from Manchester... she's a whizz with all the computers and is our in- house IT-girl, whatever that means. Bella supports Man United (surprise, surprise) and Celtic (her boyfriend's team); also follows the fortunes of the Trinidad and Tobago national team and has seen them play a couple of times with her grandad. Very nifty in the kitchen and is a dab hand at baking sponge cakes! Her favourite Pukka Pie is chicken and Mushroom.

Now, Carmen from Barcelona looks after travel arrangements and handles my appointments - you see I've got all my football 'sources' across Europe and wider afield and I need a linguist like Carmen to manage me. Carmen speaks 5 languages although I sometimes have to correct the odd word for her in English. She supports Spurs, Blackpool (she worked there as an au pair) and FC Barcelona. Carmen prepares a nice tapas (if you'll excuse the expression) and her favourite Pukka Pie is beef and onion.

Ushi from Shanghai is our resident 'brain.' She's just spent a couple of years at a swanky business school in Los Angeles where she used to go and watch LA Galaxy. And when it comes to fitness, Ushi can give me a run for my money - she played loads of that American women's soccer and captained a team in Santa Monica (where they make Baywatch - steady lads!). Ushi supports Sunderland (her brother's working up there) and Reading - also very interested in all the Asian teams; Ushi wants to return to China one day and work on the business side of football. She's just done a business plan for piemanradio.com - it's smashing that I've got a good team behind me 'cause all I want to do is talk about football. Ushi likes her Chinese tea and her favourite Pukka Pie is steak and kidney.

Janet Eriksson is absolutely no relation to you know who!
Janet was born in Southampton where her mum's from but did spend her teenage years in her dad's native Sweden. She came back to Blighty to see if she could get a job as a TV weather girl but I'm delighted that she's come to work for Pieman Radio. Janet is our studio manager - she's quite strict and doesn't allow me to eat any pies by all our posh radio kit. Janet is a fantastic cook and does a lovely Pea Soup from an old Swedish recipe - a marvellous starter before my Pukka Pie. She supports Malmo, Southampton and Leeds United. Janet's favourite Pukka Pie is potato, cheese and onion.

Smita Gupta is from Birmingham where her parents own one of those marvellous Balti restaurants. Smita follows all the Midlands clubs and claims not to have any real favourites - but I've got a sneaking suspicion she has a soft spot for Leicester City - that's where her boyfriend lives. She watches the Villa a lot and plays a bit herself - she's watched Bend it like Beckham 16 times! Smita looks after our marketing and is brilliant on the phone. Her ambition is to be a sports radio producer - well, piemanradio.com is a great place to learn about football and internet radio! Smita's favourite Pukka Pie - you guessed it, Balti.

I'm very proud of my Pie Girls. They work very hard and there's never a cross word in the Pieman studio. Fair play to them!

No comments: