Monday, March 9, 2009

The Pieman's Blog for Monday, 9 March


Gary Newbon: The Pieman has invited me to take over the Pieman Radio blog and I am happy to make my internet debut. I love working at Sky Sports and I hope very much you will catch YOU'RE ON SKY SPORTS which goes out live on most Wednesdays and Saturdays during the football season. It’s a platform for Sky Sports viewers to air their football views. My stance is the same as the Pieman's. Fair play mate and keep it balanced, but like the Pieman I always want to hear your views. So please tell your mates about this radio station and send either the Pieman or myself your thoughts via the email address or text as shown on this site. There may be a Pukka Pie or several in it for you! Balti Pukka Pies are my favourites!

What a week for European football. I am posting this blog on Monday March 9. If you read this later in the week you will be able to see if my predictions are right! I think Manchester United are unstoppable at present. They are on course with their wonderful squad for five trophies. They have already won the World Club Championship and the Carling Cup. They meet Everton in the FA Cup semi-finals and have a great chance of winning that competition plus they are set up to retain the Premier League title. Now they face Inter-Milan in the second leg of the first knock-out stage in the European Champions League. Retaining the European crown is United's hardest task. They should have beaten Jose Mourinho’s side in Turin. I hope, like manager Sir Alex Ferguson, that it does not come back to bite them!

Liverpool had the best result in the first leg - one nil in Madrid over Real. They should be stitched on at Anfield on Tuesday. Rafa Benitez is better in Europe than the Premier League. Take Chelsea to get through in Turin. They have a 1-nil lead over Juventus and I do think Chelsea will score as well. Arsenal will find it tight in Rome against Roma but I would hope they can build on their 1-0 home win over the Italians. I expect all four English clubs to go through but it may be tight!

The two remaining Championship teams were knocked out of the FA Cup at the weekend. I saw Coventry lose 2-0 at home to Chelsea. Coventry tried hard but were guilty of a terrible defensive error for the first goal. Burnley went out 3 nil at Arsenal. Eduardo was back and showed what his manager Arsene Wenger described as a beach volley. Sublime skill. So now Arsenal play Hull at the Emirates in their delayed quarter-final. The winner will play Chelsea in one semi-final with Manchester United playing Everton in the other. The semi-finals will both be played at Wembley on April 18 and 19.

I will be posting like the Pieman some football funnies. Might as well start with one of mine:
There will be more football later but first highlights of the Scottish League Cup final!

No comments: